Author Topic: Checklist!  (Read 14408 times)

Ke$ha!

• View Profile
Checklist!
« on: September 01, 2010, 06:08:38 PM »
As the name implies, this is your Urban Terror checklist. Go through it, make sure you have everything I describe, or get whatever you're missing if you can.

1. A good gaming mouse

People argue back and forth whether "gaming" computer accessories are worth the price. I'll put an end to the debate in terms of mice. Yes. YES. It's a simple fact, gaming mice track your movement better, more consistently, and have many extra features (driver options, extra buttons, teflon feet, ect ect)

My recommendation:

Cheap: The Razer Deathadder

It's a good, 1900 DPI, 1800 hz polling mouse that will fit any right handed player perfectly. It's teflon coated feet ensure smooth glide, and it has a nice anti stick, long cord so you can place it right.

Expensive: Razer Mamba

It's the Deathadder on steroids. First of all, it's a truly lag free wireless gaming mouse, which is just plain amazing. Add in 5600 DPI (even I don't use this!), and a solid 1800 hz polling, and it's fantastic.

There are many other gaming mice out on the market, choose what fits you if you want to experiment, but just get one! The advantages over normal work mice can't be explained in simple words, it really feels different.

2. Mousepad

It doesn't matter if you're using a 500 dollar mouse if the surface you're mousing on is total shit. Pick up a good, high quality gaming mousepad. 

My personal preference:

Razer Vespula

Double sided large mouse pad, each side containing a different texture to make mousing either smooth or very fast.

Again, personal choice here. There are too many pads on the market for me to bother describing, just get one if you can.

3. Get a good keyboard

The key here is that you want a keyboard with antighosting, which basically means that the keyboard can register multiple keystrokes at the same time, which is important. There are many, many out there.

My preference: Razer Lacheris

I'm a Razer fanboi. This keyboard is the equivalent to computer sex. It's that simple.

4. Ikalizer

Ikalizer is a 3D sound virtualization engine mod for Urban Terror. Basically, it allows you to pinpoint people's location using sound. Download it. Use it.

No really. Now.

http://forums.urbanterror.info/topic/8709-ikalizer-new-audio-engine-surround-sound-urbanterror-v02200b-newpatch/

5. Scripts/binds

Too many to list, I'll pull a copy of my autoexec file and put it up for anyone that wants it later. In short, make sure you have your item drop/equip/use binds correct, same thing with radio binds, and all the rest.

6. If you're on a wired network in which other people are using your precious bandwidth, you can do something about it. Go into your QoS (Quality of Service) settings in your router, and set Quake3 to have highest priority. Next place VoIP as second highest. Make sure all p2p protocols are placed at the bottom (or better yet, block their ports completely while you game).

7. Send Ke$ha! money/stripper cakes

Now.

Note: If you can't get the hardware for whatever reason (they are rather expensive), than there's nothing wrong with that. Just work on the other problems that you can fix without spending money. Economy is tough on us all these days =/.

s0rr0w

• [b00bs] clan
    • View Profile
Re: Checklist!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 07:02:53 AM »
1 for 7, I guess I've got some work to do.

No_More!

• [b00bs] clan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 07:21:29 AM »
hmmm... i actually only got 5 and 6... working on 7 right now... i will send you a cake formed like a stripper... aka a stripper-cake.

But seriously, i'm thinking of getting a new mouse and headset... the biggest problem seems money/the will to spend money for this and cut back on other things...
I should have a nice mousepad around somewhere, I'll get it as soon as possible.. maybe my skills will improve after getting used to it. oh and ikalizer, i dont know, ive though about it, i'll give it a shot though...I'll report in if any differences show up.
What? The land of the free? Whoever told you that is your enemy!

If ignorance is bliss, I'd rather dwell in hell.

I am burning alive, from the inside out, for the fire within me can never be extinguished!

Have fun and Happy fragging!

JMB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 04:27:31 PM »
Wow... 0 out of 7 X|

ikalizer doesn't work on mac, I have the default mac mouse and keyboard..  My wireless network lags and you can't get QoS on Airport...

Ugggh.  I will look into a new mouse and mousepad though.

Merc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 05:46:45 PM »
Yo JMB, what is your version of Mac computer?

JMB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 08:20:37 PM »
What be your statement?  The version refer you was of OS or computer type?

Merc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 08:46:12 PM »

OS

The-spiki

• Administrator
  • The-spiki is the best
    • View Profile
    • [b00bs] clan website
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 01:49:09 AM »
First thing first. Nice post Ke$ha.

1 and 2. I've played with friend's SteelSeries Ikari mouse and one of their mousepads today. This investment is about 50 EUR + 20 EUR (around 90 USD) and in my opinion is worth the money.

I personally am still convincing myself to fork out 150 EUR for Razer Mamba and two of SteelSeries better mouse pads.. which would bring it to close to 200 eur (260 USD)
Will do it sooner or later anyway ;).

For gaming equipment, i could recommend checking these 3 websites:
SteelSeries
Razer
Logitech

3. Keyboard is tough question. You definitely want to avoid the cheep ones. They all have shitty rubber membrane that goes off over time. Especially if you spill some coke or tea or whatnot. It stops working well.
I'm fan of "IBM Model M" / clones. Real keyboard for real pro's :)
Been thinking about ordering this one for a while

Recently switched over 2, 3 keyboards and couldn't get over their deficiencies so i am still using my old one which isn't working well anymore.

Anyway, yea, you don't want those cheap ones because you will lose your hands (joints) with them. Seriously. Look more info on RSI / CarpalTunnel syndrome.
Another reason would be inability on most of them to record many keystrokes at same time. Think this, you jump from sky to apartment, you are pushing W (forward), E (slide), wanna do left turn side bit with A (left) and do "enemy spoted bind coz peepz are on garden 2 (i use CTRL)... Inpossible to have more than 2 buttons press registered on cheap keyboards, let alone 4...

4. Ikalizer haven't tried yet it because i thought it doesn't work on Linux :)

5. Binds, binds, binds

Escape, Options, Chat Settings, Auto radio: click untill you get "Enabled, no grenade"

bind ALT "ut_radio 5 1 enemy at $crosshair [$health]"
bind CTRL "ut_radio 7 1 I have the $gameitem at $location. Going to $crosshair [$health]"
bind \ "ut_itemdrop flag;say_team FLAG dropped at $location [$health]"

bind z "ut_radio 3 3 Medic pliz. [$health]"

i get easier access for radio.
bind x "ui_radio"

we used to use lol laughter as means to notify members to attack
(flag) at same time
bind v "ut_radio lol"

This if for opening doors, because it is not used much so i get easier
keys like ctrl free for flag info and shift for crouching
bind CAPSLOCK "+button7"

bind KP_MINUS "ut_itemdrop kevlar"
bind m "ut_itemdrop medkit"

bind KP_PLUS "ut_itemuse"
This turns laser off / Tac goggles off
You need to pick laser or tac goggles (NVG) as "first item"
In second row first pick laser / tac goggles, then helmet, and then kevlar west / medic pack...
Or grenade as they are not counted as "items"

6. Internet. What can i say. I haz multiple internet connection and the one with best latency is used only for my gaming needs. Everything else goes trough the other pipes.

7. I would if i knew it will be used for strippers only and not for anything else.
I am lucker. no skills at all. ask anyone

I sell frozen jogurt which i call frogurt

JMB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 10:25:34 PM »

OS
Snow leopard.

Merc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 11:12:53 PM »
Nice, I got Leopard :)

s0rr0w

• [b00bs] clan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 08:30:20 PM »
I think I see what you're talking about now with the keyboard. Sometimes I try to hit my "Requesting Backup" button or something, and it doesn't work. It must be the 'ghosting' or whatever.  Dang.

Velocity

• [b00bs] clan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 02:55:09 AM »
0. Something that is missing on this list, which I would put above all else: HEADPHONES/HEADSET
Please wear earphones, of any sort. Without them, it is 70% more difficult to pinpoint sounds. (yes i fabricated the 70%)
I would recommend Razer Carcharias ($79 USD): These headphones, by far, have the best sound, the best comfort and durability of any headset/headphones I have ever used. And i have gone through many headsets/headphones. The mic isn't the greatest quality, but after a little tweaking it's ok. But for sound, etc. they are great!

1. Gaming Mouse - Razer Mamba by far. The best gaming mouse i have ever tried, and I have gone through many gaming mouses.
2. Mousepad - Razer Destructor. Oh how the mouse glides on this surface.
3. Keyboard - Razer Arctosa (lower price range). Initially for Razer keyboards, i was using the lycosa, back-lit and pretty, but didnt work, had known issues with wiring, so dont buy one even if you see it ON SALE!

Yes I am also a razer fan, if you havent noticed... ;)

4. Ikalizer - Neato, never heard of this before, just downloaded and cant wait to try it.
5. Scripts/binds - have all of spikis and then some :)
6. Network - woot, i just got Fibre! OH THE SPEED!!!

Well with all of this fancy equipment, one would think I would be a better player ;) So bottom line, good headphones and mouse, and dont worry too much about the rest :P

« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 10:18:05 AM by Velocity »

s0rr0w

• [b00bs] clan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 07:55:52 AM »
0. HEADPHONES/HEADSET
I would recommend Razer Carcharias ($79 USD)

I just bought a new headset. I got it mostly because my old one was really uncomfortable, but I've noticed that I can use sounds in the game a lot more effectively than before. I was playing team survivor today, and I noticed a definite improvement in my ability to place sounds (said ability was probably non-existent previously). One problem with the new set is that there is no mic mute button on it. I need to figure out a solution for that one.

My problem: the new headset I purchased was $6.02 USD (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=6891&seq=1&format=2). I'd be really hard pressed to justify spending $79 USD on a headset at this point, let alone a mouse, a mouse pad, and a keyboard. How much difference do you think a great headset would make, versus a decent one (i.e. the one I just bought)?

5. Scripts/binds - have all of spikis and then some

This is the one item I think I have checked off. I don't have a lot of fancy scripts/binds, but I have a few that I feel are quite useful. Would you be willing to share your config file velo? If you have some good ideas, I wouldn't mind giving them a shot.

6. Network - Ewww, i just got Fibre! OH THE SPEED!!!

I am envious. My connection is not that great. When I pull a list of servers in Urban Terror, the lowest ping I see is never less than 80ms, and those servers are usually empty. b00bs Uptown USA is about as good as it gets for me in terms of populated servers (at ~100ms ping). In fact, that's how I stumbled on the server to begin with; I chose the lowest ping server with people in it. Sometimes I'll see some guys with ~10ms ping, and I get ping envy. I guess that's what I get for living in the middle of nowhere.  ;)

No_More!

• [b00bs] clan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 02:03:20 PM »
0. HEADPHONES/HEADSET
I would recommend Razer Carcharias ($79 USD)

I just bought a new headset. I got it mostly because my old one was really uncomfortable, but I've noticed that I can use sounds in the game a lot more effectively than before. I was playing team survivor today, and I noticed a definite improvement in my ability to place sounds (said ability was probably non-existent previously). One problem with the new set is that there is no mic mute button on it. I need to figure out a solution for that one.

My problem: the new headset I purchased was $6.02 USD (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=6891&seq=1&format=2). I'd be really hard pressed to justify spending $79 USD on a headset at this point, let alone a mouse, a mouse pad, and a keyboard. How much difference do you think a great headset would make, versus a decent one (i.e. the one I just bought)?

5. Scripts/binds - have all of spikis and then some

This is the one item I think I have checked off. I don't have a lot of fancy scripts/binds, but I have a few that I feel are quite useful. Would you be willing to share your config file velo? If you have some good ideas, I wouldn't mind giving them a shot.

6. Network - Ewww, i just got Fibre! OH THE SPEED!!!

I am envious. My connection is not that great. When I pull a list of servers in Urban Terror, the lowest ping I see is never less than 80ms, and those servers are usually empty. b00bs Uptown USA is about as good as it gets for me in terms of populated servers (at ~100ms ping). In fact, that's how I stumbled on the server to begin with; I chose the lowest ping server with people in it. Sometimes I'll see some guys with ~10ms ping, and I get ping envy. I guess that's what I get for living in the middle of nowhere.  ;)

Well, I got a pretty fast cannection, that can easily deal with most servers, and I usually have a 10-50 ping on EURO servers... The big problem is that i mostly play un US servers (lowest ping 100, because i live in Vienna/Austria) because I stumbled over b00bs per luck and got obsessed, i simply could'nt stop playing with them.... ;D ;D
What? The land of the free? Whoever told you that is your enemy!

If ignorance is bliss, I'd rather dwell in hell.

I am burning alive, from the inside out, for the fire within me can never be extinguished!

Have fun and Happy fragging!

AnbuPinkOps

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 09:54:58 PM »
mouse? cheap?

"A4 Tech" company model family "Oscar".  laser 3600 dpi. various model types differ by availability of weights and number of macro buttons. (~20$ basic model around here and around here means more expensive then almost anywhere else ;-) no weigths, 1macro, dpi switch button, glides,soft thumb antislip grip...

any reason to not use this one? laser not usable at uneven surface in contrast to optics. so if considering being sick sometimes... bed? not usable without pad. then armchair with 3d fabric texture on armrests? not usable. optics most of the time can handle and only sometimes gets jerky as the laser.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 09:59:26 PM by AnbuPinkOps »